The Saudi Geological Survey (SGS) held a workshop during 14-16 February 2011, in Jeddah, Kingdom of .Saudi .Arabia on the Digital Metallogenic Map of The Arab World. The project shall be under the umbrella of the Arab Organization for Industrial Development and Mining. The workshop was held under the patronage of HE Dr. Zohair Nawab, S.G.S's President.
Discussions were concentrated on how to prepare a metallogenic map for the Arab world, taking the example of Saudi Arabia in this respect.
Main papers were on:
• Main mineral recourses in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
• Methods of gathering and correlating.
• Application geologic information of Geographic Positioning System (GPS) in processing and executing a metallogenic map.
• An example of geologic data analyses as a means for mineral exploration in Ar Rayn Region , K.S.A.
• The strategy followed to identify the origin of some typical patterns of raw material deposits in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
• A summary of the geological, petrological and geochemical studies on mineral deposits in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
There were expanded discussions, at the end of the Workshop, run under the chairmanship of His Excellency the President of the Saudi Geological Survey, and HE the Director of Mineral Resources at the Arab Organization for Industrial Development and Mining. The intense points were on the objectives and importance of the Metalloginic Map for the Arab World, how to prepare, execute and make use of it? How to identify the technical steps needed for launching this map?