The National Center for Earthquakes and Volcanoes objective is to maintain and monitor seismic activity in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the surrounding region and to report such activity to appropriate responsible for the supervision of seismic studies in the Kingdom and, to this end it has established Center National Center for Earthquakes and Volcanoes with in SGS.
The activities of the National Center cover 3 main disciplines in the earth sciences, namely:
I. Earthquake seismology
II. Regional and exploration geophysics
Main functions of the National Center for Earthquakes and Volcanoes:
- Maintenance, expansion, upgrading of the Saudi National Seismic Network (SNSN).
- Operation of local seismograph networks in volcanic areas (harrats).
- Operation of local seismograph networks in strategically important areas.
- Operation of portable seismic stations to study natural or induced earthquake activity.
- Continuous monitoring of earthquakes and man-made explosions within Saudi Arabia.
- Processing and analysis of all recorded earthquakes within Saudi Arabia.
- Research on earthquakes and earthquake risk within the Kingdom.
- Preparation of seismic zonation and risk or hazard maps for the Kingdom.
- Preparation of seismic micro-zonation maps for cities.
- Maintenance of the earthquake catalogue for the Kingdom for research purposes.
- Rapid announcement of earthquake details to governmental organizations and the media.
- Participation in planning for emergencies arising from earthquake activity.
- Education of the public regarding earthquake hazards.
- Cooperation with international earthquake data centers for the exchange of data.
- Monitoring volcanic activity within the Kingdom.
- Geothermal measurements as an aid to predicting volcanic activity.
- Volcanology and geothermal research.
- Geophysical research.
- Geophysical surveys in cooperation with other sections of SGS.
- Contract geophysical surveys for government and other organizations and companies.
- Establishment of a GPS network along the Gulf of Aqaba and Red Sea for plate movements.
4) Other activities:
- Cooperation with Saudi universities and government organizations in seismology, geophysics and volcanism.
- Consultation to government organizations and companies in the fields of earthquake seismology, earthquake risk, geophysics and volcanology.
- Training personnel in earthquake seismology, geophysics and volcanology.
- Participation in conferences on earthquake seismology, geophysics and volcanology.